Recipe: Spring Green Salad
Spring Green Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus, tender parts, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed or snow peas or sugar snap peas (chopped)
- A few handfuls of salad greens
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Crumbled feta cheese as much as you like (at least ½ cup)
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, toasted salted almonds
- Fresh herbs, for garnish (basil, mint, and/or chives)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil or a mix of basil and mint
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus ½ teaspoon zest, 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and set a bowl of ice water
nearby. Blanch the asparagus for about 1 minute, until tender but still
bright green. Transfer to the ice water for 1 minute, then drain. Allow
the asparagus to dry and transfer it back to the bowl and add the peas.
2. Make the dressing: In a food processor, pulse together the herbs, garlic,
honey, lemon juice, zest, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Add half of the dressing to the bowl with the asparagus and toss to coat.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Assemble the salad. Arrange the salad greens on a platter, then layer
the asparagus/pea mixture, the radishes, feta, avocado, tomatoes,
almonds, red onions, and herbs. Drizzle with remaining dressing, season
to taste with more salt and pepper, and serve.