Welcome to Lost Oak Winery's Blog.
Step 1: Google the phrase "best Thanksgiving wine pairings."
Step 2: Click on ALL the links and read them thoroughly.
Step 3: Get really confused by all the types of wine, conflicting opinions, and complicated side dishes that you weren't planning on making anyway.
Step 4: Resist the urge to just go to the store and buy the fist box of wine you can find.
Step 5: Go to lost Oak Winery and pick up a few bottles of your favorite wine.
As the resident wine nerd, I get asked about wine pairings all the time. Making sure that you are giving yourself and your guest the very best food and wine experience can be daunting and even anxiety inducing. My advice to everyone looking for that elusive perfect pairing is; drink what you like and get a bottle of wine you know your friends will like. There are some stead fast rules when it comes to pairing: Unoaked whites with citrusy foods, rich meats with tannic reds, sweet wines with spicy food, and your wine for dessert needs to be sweeter than the dessert. However, my number one rule is this: If you don't like the wine, there is nothing I can pair it with to make you like it. Same goes with food, if you don't like it, there isn't a wine made that will make it better. But, there is a bright side. If there is a wine that you are on the fence about, following the rules mentioned earlier can make it a flavor explosion. My number two rule is to always try new wines with new foods. You will never come across the perfect pairing if you don't try it.
Cheers! ~ Angela, WSET III
Here is a sweet post by her mother Aly. It truly has taken a village to raise this sweet little girl. And yes, we still have more Emerson wine for sale in the Tasting Room!
-Dr. Farley and everyone at the Advanced Maternal and Newborn Institute at Medical City Dallas for walking me through the rest of my pregnancy with a heart baby and delivering her safely
- Dr. Day for all of my prenatal sonograms figuring out down to the millimeter our sweet girls anatomy.
- Dr. Schwenderman and his NICU team for reacting when Emerson coded and removing the fluid around her heart to save her life.
- Father Brian for praying with us when we thought we were losing her and for showing up every time things were overwhelmingly hard as if sent from God directly.
- Every single CHSU nurse in the incredible unit at Medical City Children's Hospital that took care of her in a way i never could and making sure I never questioned her care along the way.
- Pediatric Heart Specialists for creating the plan to get us here today. Countless medications, procedures, and planning. Everyone including Dr. Alan Sing, Holly (and her tolerance of my countless questions in the midst of her being a superwoman in her own life), and Ashley (caring for my daughter while carrying two of her own!)
- Dr. Renard for repairing her malrotated intestine and placing her G-tube - the tool that would sustain her to this point and past.
- Dr. Eric Mendeloff for holding my daughters heart in his hand and giving her a chance at life - the gratitude I have for that is so great it is intensely overwhelming.
- Dr. Delia Wright in Grandbury for taking on our case and being an amazing pediatrician
- Our incredible gastrointerologist Dr. Lillienne Chan walking us through how to feed Emerson.
- Our Nutritionist Maria-Paula Carillo with Life Cycle Nutrition for working so closely with Dr. Chan to come up with creative ways to make sure her nutritional needs are being met.
- Dr. Ha for helping us get her helmet to correct her Plagiocephaly.
- Katie and everyone at ECI for woking with her on physical therapy and speech therapy
- Lost Oak Winery and 4.0 cellars owners, staff, and patrons for creating Emerson wine- proceeds of which made it possible to get emerson every medication she needs and all the transportation to the countless appointments. This was crucial and incredibly kind.
- Everyone who has donated to our GOFUNDME page - these funds helped more than you could know.
- The staff at Grace Preschool, LLC for understanding along the way and teaching my sweet Harper and showing her God's grace in a time of great confusion for her.
- Yuridiana Santos for being the BEST home nurse and mom or baby could ask for and an incredible mom to her own children.
- Constant Family support
- Everyones prayers and thoughts - I firmly believe they are the foundation for the success of all of those listed above.
Holiday food preparations can be daunting even to the most seasoned of home chefs.
Should I put cranberries in the stuffing this year? Would anyone notice if I made box mashed potatoes? Is macaroni and cheese an acceptable side dish? I think aunt Carol is gluten free now, how do I even make a gluten free pie?
Once you get all that settled you are STILL NOT FINISHED, you have drinks to think about!
And, if your family is anything like ours, wine will be involved.
A good hostess always has the perfect wine parings to complement their lovingly crafted food. After all, you didn’t just spend the week leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas fretting over which gravy is the best to serve to simply ignore wine parings, right?
Worry not, the Lost Oak Family is here to help! Here are some tips from our little family:
From Gene: Stock up on Lost Oak Wine and have a lot of verity, your friends and family will find the pairing that they like the most.
From Judy: It’s about the presentation! Bring out fancy glasses and serve red and white Lost Oak Wine to make the place settings pop.
From Roxanne: If you are going to someone else’s house, be sure to bring a bottle or two of your favorite Lost Oak Wine. It makes a great hostess gift and you are guaranteed to have something you like to drink.
From Angela: A lighter red, like our Montepulciano, is a great compliment to both turkey and ham, but you can never go wrong with our Sauvignon Blanc either. The subtle flavor won’t overpower the turkey and the citrus notes can stands up to the fats in the ham. For those with a little bit more of a sweet tooth, go for the Orange Muscat. The slight orange zest flavor will complement everything form the Turkey to that strange Jell-O thing with the fruit that Aunt Carol always insists on bringing.
From Mariam: I’m serving a bottle of everything Lost Oak – red, white, sweet, dry, bubbly. But back off that extra bottle of Cabernet… is mine. I need it to make it through the day!
From Jim: Get two bottles of every Lost Oak red! Drink one now, then drink one a year from now to compare how the flavors evolved. You won't be sorry!
From Our table to yours, Cheers!
On January 6, 2018 Lost Oak Winery was featured as a wedding venue on
We could not be more thrilled to report we scored a 9 out of 10 for venue!
WeddingWire Couples' Choice Award
By Mariam Copeland
Mariam & Angela were entrusted to take the award home, and took it on a tour of Las Colinas, Texas!